Tomato soup is a soup made with tomatoes as the main ingredient. Tomato soup may be made in a variety of ways, served hot or cold, with crackers, croutons or sour cream. It’s quite popular in the USA, Poland and Spain.
It may be both cooked from fresh or canned tomatoes. For our Keto Tomato Soup we choose crushed canned tomatoes, with no sugar or artificial flavours added. In traditional recipe flour is added to tomato soup to increase its viscosity.
Also, you can reduce the amount of carbs even more, by swapping shredded gouda cheese to grated grana padano.
Crushed tomatoes is the highest carb ingredient in this recipe. 100g of crushed tomatoes consist of 7.3g of carbs with 5.4g of net carbs.
One serving (1 cup) of our keto tomato soup contains 4.4 grams of net carbs (croutons not included).
Heat butter in a pan. When butter melts, add chopped onion and cook just until lightly brown.
Then add minced garlic, cook 30 seconds, add all seasonings and continue to cook for one minute more, stirring frequently.
Add crushed tomatoes, stir well, cover with a lid and cook for 5 min on low heat.
Pour in chicken broth, give a good stir and bring to a boil. Return the lid back and continue to cook for 10 minutes or until tomatoes are tender.
While the soup is cooking, prepare the croutons (if using): preheat the oven to 220 F/ 110 C. Cut your keto friendly bread into cubes.
Line the baking tray with foil or parchment paper and transfer your keto bread cubes into the baking tray, sprinkle with grana padano and bake for 10 minutes or until crispy.
Season with salt and pepper and puree the soup using immersion blender right in the pot until smooth.
If you do not have immersion blender, you can use regular food processor, but in this case puree your soup in batches.
Return the soup to the stove top, pour in heavy cream, add shredded cheese and warm it up.
Divide tomato soup between bowls and serve in garnished with grated grana padano and croutons (if using).
Keto Tomato Soup
- 2 cans Crushed tomatoes (with no added sugar)
- 1/2 Onion chopped
- 1 Garlic glove minced
- 3 cups Chicken broth
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1/3 cup Heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Gouda cheese shredded
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp Chili flakes
- 1/8 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp Ground clove
- 1 tsbp Grana padano
- Keto bread croutons (for garnish, optional)
- Heat butter in a pan, add chopped onion and cook just until lightly brown.
- Add minced garlic, all seasonings and cook for one minute more.
- Add tomatoes, cover with a lid and cook for 5 min on low.
- Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Return the lid back and continue to cook for 10 minutes or until tomatoes are tender.
- Prepare the croutons (if using): transfer keto bread cubes to the baking tray, sprinkle with grana padano and bake for 10 minutes at 220 F/ 110 C.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper and puree using an immersion blender.
- Return the soup to the stovetop, add heavy cream and shredded cheese and warm it up.
- Serve in a bowl garnished with grated grana padano and croutons (optional).
Was this post helpful?
Alex is the founder of Bodyketosis, an author, low-carb enthusiast, and a recovering chubby guy who reclaimed his health using the ketogenic lifestyle. The need for the keto life began after his aunt and cousin were diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and he was next in line. Through personal experience and extensive scientific research, Alex offers insightful tips for everything keto.