Sesame chicken is probably one o the most popular dishes in the US. It’s similar to General Tso’s chicken but the taste is sweet rather than spicy.
Although the classical sesame chicken is high in carbs due to the sugar content that makes up that sweet sweet taste, not everything is gone.
Here’s our version of keto sesame chicken with only 3g of net carbs per serving.
The highest source of carbs in this recipe is the almond flour.
Cut the chicken breasts into a 2 cm pieces. You can also use chicken thighs, cut it to the bite size.
Put the chicken pieces in a bowl. Season with salt, pepper and chilli flakes. Add 1 tsp avocado oil. Toss well and set aside.
Break the egg into a small bowl. Whisk. You can do this easily using a fork.
Add coconut and almond flour. It is this combination that gives additional texture and taste. But you can use coconut or almond flour separately.
Combine the egg mixture with the chicken. Set aside in the room temperature. While you making the sesame sauce.
Minced garlic and ginger. Tips: In order to easily peel a clove of garlic, slightly extend its knife on the kitchen board. The husk is easily separated and finely chopped will be more convenient.
Prepare the sesame sauce. Mix together soy sauce and garlic with ginger. Add 1 tsp sesame oil for a rich and Asian taste.
Add to the sauce sesame seeds and chilli flakes, if disare. You can also fry sesame seeds so that they reveal their taste. To do this, use a dry frying pan and low heat. Stir constantly as they burn quickly.
Heat at the frying pan avocado oil. Fry chicken bites until golden. About 10-12 min.
You want them to fry this, not steam, so make sure that all pieces are golden, it’s very important.
When all the chicken are golden, add to the pan your sesame sauce and stir to combine. Let this cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.You also can add 1/8 tsp xanthan gum, if you want thicker sauce.
Put on the serving plate with steamed green beans.You can also replace green beans in this recipe with mushrooms, broccoli and zucchini. Toss well and sprinkle with sesame seeds and snipped chives. Enjoy!
Tried this recipe?
Keto Sesame Chicken
For Sesame sauce
- 2 Tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- 1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1 cm cube Cube fresh ginger
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Sesame seeds
- 1/8 tsp Xanthan gum optional, if you want a thicker sauce
- 2 Tbsp Minced snipped chives for garnish
- Cut the chicken breasts into 2 cm pieces.
- Put in a bowl, season with salt, pepper and chili flakes. Add 1 tsp avocado oil. Toss well and set aside.
- Whisk the egg in a bowl.
- Add coconut and almond flour.
- Combine the egg mixture with the chicken.
- Minced garlic and ginger.
Prepare the sesame sauce
- Mix together soy sauce and garlic with ginger.
- Add sesame oil and sesame seeds.
- Heat at the frying pan avocado oil. Fry chicken bites until golden. About 10-12 min.
- Add the sesame sauce to the pan and stir. Cook for additional 5 min, when the sauce has thickened (You also can add 1/8 tsp xanthan gum)
- Put on the serving plate with steamed green beans. Toss well and sprinkle with sesame seeds and snipped chives. Enjoy!
Alex is the founder of Bodyketosis, an author, low-carb enthusiast, and a recovering chubby guy who reclaimed his health using the ketogenic lifestyle. The need for the keto life began after his aunt and cousin were diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and he was next in line. Through personal experience and extensive scientific research, Alex offers insightful tips for everything keto.