In a hurry? The best keto multivitamin alternative is Perfect Keto greens powder!
When you hear of the awesome benefits of a keto diet, you may want to jump into one straight away.
However, you have to bear with the body changes you experience.
With all the carbs, you will cut out a lot of foods packed with essential vitamins and minerals as well (1).
You can get most micronutrients through food, but this requires calculating and tracking your food and micronutrient intake.
This can bring additional stress to already somewhat difficult equation.
That's why I have created this article, to show what you need to know about vitamins & minerals during the keto diet, and what is the easiest way to get all them into your body.
Keto multivitamins & alternatives we cover in this article:
Vitamin & Mineral Deficiencies
A keto diet involves cutting out carbohydrates. A low carb ketogenic diet means you eliminate many of the meals you consumed before the diet, and that could mean cutting off some of your vital sources of nutrients. (2)
A keto diet has great benefits. It nourishes your body, but the food restrictions also limit your options for meals. The effect of a limited diet is summed up by Kristen Fischer who wrote: (3)
The keto diet is also extremely low in certain fruits, vegetables, grains, and legumes that are generally thought of as healthy. Without these foods, people on the diet can miss out on fiber, certain vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals that only come in these foods. - Kristen Fischer
These nutrients are very important for optimal health. The nutrient deficient in a keto diet must be introduced in ways that do not disrupt the diet. A keto diet makes you miss out in certain micronutrients.
- Sodium is an essential nutrient that often goes off with most keto diets. (4) A keto diet makes you miss out on sodium because ketogenesis has a diuretic effect - expelling water and numerous other electrolytes like sodium. (5) Sodium is important as it helps the body maintain blood pressure and volume. Low sodium levels can lead to fatigue, low energy levels, and tiredness. Coupled with daily activities, sweating and others, a keto diet could lead to depleted energy levels. (6)
- The body also misses out on potassium and magnesium, essential regulating blood flow as pressure as well as maintaining muscular functioning. Calcium could also be missed out in a keto diet. A number of other nutrients like zinc, phosphorus, iodine, iron could have their intake reduced. (7)
- The B vitamins, vitamin C, Vitamin D, and Vitamin K, are big casualties of a keto diet. The change in diet is often responsible for keto flu, which could include headaches, foggy head, lightheadedness, fatigue, and many other conditions when the body is adapting to the diet. (8)
Can You Get All the Vitamins
From Food Alone?
Natural, whole foods are the best sources of nutrients. (9) Beyond the required nutrients, natural meals help with nonessential nutrients that aid optimal health like flavonoids, antioxidants, carotenoids amongst others. (10) The better the quality of the food, the denser the nutrients in it.
Generally, nutrients can be derived from food. However, there are instances where nutrients have to be gotten from supplements, when pregnant, at old age, and when there is a medical condition. (11) Nutrients from meals are better because they are natural and can be easily absorbed into the body. (12)
In a keto diet, the nutrients intake might reduce, but the reduction in carbohydrate intake should not result in reduced consumption of nutrients overall. One way to maximize your keto diet for nutrient intakes is to replace food that has no or insignificant quantity of nutrients with organic meals.
A keto diet often makes people lose out on Vitamin C, Vitamin K, and omega 3 acids, which are all necessary for great health. Although these nutrients are often found in meals with carbohydrates, sufficient amounts are found in kale, spinach, Swiss chard, turnip greens, parsley, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, liver, eggs, cauliflower, fatty fish (tuna, sardines, herring, mackerel, salmon), etc.
Benefits of Multivitamin
A ketogenic diet could have implications for your mineral intake. Electrolytes like sodium, potassium, selenium often become absent when carbohydrates are removed. Similarly, vitamins B, C, D, and K could be missing in a keto diet. You could get worried about missing out on those nutrients and its effect on your health
- Multivitamins could have massive benefits for people on a keto diet, as John Hopkins University reported that sufficient evidence had proven the health benefits of multivitamins. (13) Multivitamins will help you replace many of the micronutrients, thereby helping maintain optimal conditions as if you were on a regular diet.
- Also, multivitamins can help your body adapt to body changes and reactions to embarking on a keto diet, such as lethargy or keto flu. During a keto diet, multivitamins could help maintain muscular function, improve immunity, (14) and mental performance during ketosis. (15) There is the possibility of multivitamins helping improve cardiovascular health.
- The main benefit during the keto diet is that you don't need to track or worry about your micronutrient intake. It just makes your life easier. When you are first time doing keto, you have enough problems to deal with: what to eat, what not to, hidden carbs, ketosis, keto flu and so on. Multivitamin will just cover the vital micronutrient part of the equation.
When You Should Take
Multivitamin and When NOT to
An appropriate consumption of healthy natural meals most often eliminate the need for supplements. Nutrients from organic, whole meals are healthier and better than supplements - and there are no scientific debates about that. Supplements should come in when your meal choices are low on particular nutrients, as that is dangerous for the body.
- Similarly, there is a wide range of meal options that will provide the necessary nutrients in your diet. A healthy keto diet will pass your daily nutrient requirements except you consume empty meals. Supplements are great if you are short on nutrients.
- However, a low carb diet does not constitute a low nutrient diet, and you can incorporate a whole lot of healthy, keto friendly, nutritious, and great tasting options. kale, spinach, Swiss chard, turnip greens, parsley, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, liver, eggs, cauliflower, fatty fish, tuna, sardines, herring, mackerel, salmon, eggs, organic meat, dairy products and a host of others.
Therefore, you can get an appropriate quantity of nutrients from a balanced meal, but if your meal choices do not meet the requirements of a balanced diet, incorporating micronutrients could be a great decision.
If you are following a regular low-carb diet, then you can get away with not tracking your micronutrients and you most likely will get most of the nutrients through food.
If you are following a keto diet, then you are quite restricted when it comes to food sources and the amounts. If you know what you are doing then you can get all the vital vitamins (except minerals) from food, but if you are just starting out, this can bring additional difficulty to the mix.
Green powders are powerhouses of nutrients. As a true reflection of its name, the substance is produced from the greenest, most natural and most organic choice ingredients. Most often a blend of fruits and vegetables, green powders are free from sugars, sweeteners and other artificial substances.
Green powders are superb alternatives to multivitamins. Quite similar to getting nutrients from normal meals as it is packed with nutrients from carefully selected organic food. (16) Unlike multivitamin supplements that are still subject to debates over their efficacy, green powders are proven to be helpful. Is that not great news if you are on a keto diet. Micronutrient green powders supply all the nutrients you might miss out on during the keto diet; zinc, iron, calcium, magnesium, and vitamin A, C, D, E, K and many more.
Green powders are superb alternatives to multivitamins, often having better ingredients and lacking any "keto-unfriendly" ingredients. If you desire to incorporate vitamins outside of your meal intake into your diet, green powders are great, superb, and healthy means to do so.
How to Choose the Best
Multivitamin for Keto?
Opted to supplement your diet with a multivitamin? You need to choose one that is healthy for you and appropriate for your keto diet.
Verified manufacturer - The multivitamin must be created by a trusted, verified manufacturer and contain natural ingredients. As the content of a keto diet, it must be low on carbs, free from sugars and be composed of truly natural Ingredients.
Electrolytes - The multivitamin must be able to replace nutrients that are naturally lost during a keto diet such as zinc, iron, calcium, magnesium. Also, electrolytes necessary for healthy living must be infused, containing sufficient levels of potassium, sodium, magnesium, calcium, and zinc. (17)
Beneficial ingredients - A keto multivitamin must be super healthy, containing unique properties that will make it exceptionally beneficial for health. Ingredients like chromium, branched-chain amino acids, L-Carnitine, green tea extract, piperine, probiotics, beta-alanine, co-enzyme, and other beneficial products.
What not to do - Generally, your choices must be made only upon an intent assessment of the product. You should not choose a multivitamin made with sugar, artificial ingredients, or substances that can kick you out of your keto diet. Your multivitamin should help you beat some of the effects of your body's adaptation to ketosis while aiding you to maintain optimal health
Let's have an overview of some of these types of ketogenic multivitamin supplements
Best Keto Multivitamin
So, let us take a quick view of some multivitamins that are good for your ketogenic diet, helping you introduce essential nutrients without popping out of ketosis.
1. Ancient Nutrition Keto Multi
Ancient Nutrition Keto Multi Fermented Vitamin and Mineral Formula is made specifically for keto dieters.
It's made with real foods, delivering 100% (or more) of the Daily Value (DV) of 16 vitamins and minerals.
It contains their "organic keto botanical blend" - including Ashwagandha, Milk Thistle and Organic Alfalfa Grass Juice.
The reason why I like this during the keto diet is it's keto lipid and mineral blend, including MCTs and organic chicken bone broth oil.
This will help to minimize any keto-flu symptoms and enjoy the diet from the beginning.
It contains Vitamin A, C, D3, B6, B12, E, K, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Niacin, Calcium, Iodine, Magnesium, Zinc, Selenium, Manganese, Chromium, Molybdenum, Organic Keto Botanical Blend and Keto Lipid and Mineral Blend.
- Keto & Paleo friendly
- Contains Organic Keto Botanical Blend (including Ashwagandha, Milk Thistle and Organic Alfalfa Grass Juice)
- Contains Keto Lipid and Mineral Blend (including MCTs and Organic Chicken Bone Broth Oil)
- Convenient, Easy-to-Swallow Capsules
- Free of sweeteners, artificial colors, artificial flavors, preservatives
- Can be pricey for some
2. Ketolabs Keto Core
This is another multivitamin created specifically to support the keto diet.
It's infused with ginkgo biloba and digestive enzymes, it aids the fast assimilation of vitamins.
It's 100% free from carbs, fillers, and sugars. It also comes with added electrolytes like magnesium and potassium which are essential during keto.
This multivitamin reduces the nasty keto-flu symptoms like weakness, headache, irritability and difficulty concentrating.
It is made up of Vitamins B12, C, D3, and E, Chromium, CoQ10, Niacin, Zinc, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Digestive Enzymes, Electrolytes such as chelated Magnesium and Potassium and no iron.
- Has ginkgo biloba
- Free from irons
- Has energizing constituents
- Contains no fluff or fillers
- Contains electrolytes (essential to fight keto-flu)
- Contains probiotics (helps with digestion)
- Made specifically for keto dieters
- For some the capsule size can be big (in this case go for greens powder)
3. Nutri-Align Multivit
This is a multivitamin by Nutri Align and designed specifically for low-carb dieters (not only keto).
In addition to other ingredients, it comes with electrolytes which help to minimize the keto-flu symptoms you will experience some time in the beginning.
It comes with 20 extra-strong vitamins and minerals, and is free of carbs, sweeteners, gluten, soy, lactose, and sulphites.
They also offer a 30-day money back guarantee, which shows that they stand behind their product (not common among supplement companies).
The product has high levels of Vitamins B, C, D, E, magnesium, selenium, copper, grape seed extract, green tea extract, etc.
- Focused on low carb diets
- No artificial ingredient is added
- Contains electrolytes (minimizes keto-flu symptoms)
- Reinforced core ingredients
- Infused with green tea and grape seed extract
- Quite big pill size
4. Perfect Keto Greens Powder
Perfect Keto is a well known leader in the keto community. This time they have created a great greens powder which will provide all the vitamins and minerals you need.
It is a mixture of 27 fruits, vegetables and MCTs- each serving housing great health benefits. The digestive enzymes in it help the absorption of multivitamins.
It is free from fillers and other artificial substances, completely made from organic substances. It contains alfalfa leaf juice, wheatgrass, barley grass, broccoli, Stevia leaf and much more.
You can integrate this powder into many other of your meals, especially liquids (water, fruit juice, or any other low-carb drink). A greens powder sufficiently caters for anyone who does not like veggies or can't eat them enough due to specific diet plan. Perfect Keto greens powder will help to achieve and stay in ketosis.
PS! Use the code BODYKETOSIS and save -15% on your purchase.
- Mixture of 27 fruits and vegetables
- 100% Keto friendly
- Has zero carbs, additives and artificial substances
- Contains MCT oils (helps to achieve and maintain ketosis)
- Presence of digestive enzymes aids quick absorption of nutrients
- Not the best taste (lemon)
5. Organify Green Juice (our favorite)
The founder of Organifi, Drew Canole, claims that he has a lot of first-hand experience working with these types of products. The brand is most known for his Green Juice - a blend of various herbs, algae, lemon extract, and coconut water.
Among the rest of the herbs, it contains Matcha - the highest quality green tea available. It provides a high amount of antioxidants and catechins - fighting free radical damage while also increasing energy levels, burning calories, and detoxifying the body.
What’s cool about the Organifi Green Juice is that it also includes Lemon extract, which has a cooling and alkalizing effect - it has been shown that the body functions best when its pH value is balanced. The body constantly works really hard to achieve this, so any help is welcome.
Notable Ingredients are Chlorella, Moringa, Spirulina, Mint, Beets, Matcha Green Tea, Wheatgrass, Ashwagandha, Turmeric, Lemon, Coconut Water
- Sweetened with natural Monk Fruit
- Taste is delicious
- Works well with almost anything (water, smoothie, desserts)
- 100% keto friendly and vegan
- Contains Matcha and Chloerlla
- Effective detox beverage
- Not the cheapest on the market
- Doesn't contain MCTs
Was this post helpful?
Alex is the founder of Bodyketosis, an author, low-carb enthusiast, and a recovering chubby guy who reclaimed his health using the ketogenic lifestyle. The need for the keto life began after his aunt and cousin were diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and he was next in line. Through personal experience and extensive scientific research, Alex offers insightful tips for everything keto.