Creamy Keto Curried Butternut Squash Soup Recipe (2023)
Keto Curried Butternut Squash Soup is a perfect dish for cold weather. Winter squashes are grown in many lands today, not sure, that butternut grows in Thailand, but it makes an ideal match with Thai flavors.
Butternut squash is an excellent source of vitamin C and beta carotene, both of which act as antioxidants in your body.
Squash is not pure keto, but we do our best to reduce the number of carbs to a minimum.
Butternut squash is the highest carb ingredient in this recipe. 1 cup of butternut squash contains 16g of carbs with 13g of net carbs.
One serving (1 cup) of our curried butternut squash soup consists of 6 grams of net carbs.
If you want to add more Thai flavors, you can add red curry paste instead of curry powder and garnish your soup with some coconut flakes and an additional spoon of coconut milk.
Heat coconut oil in a pan. When the oil melts, add chopped onion and cook just until lightly brown.
Then add minced garlic, curry powder, dried thyme, nutmeg, and chili flakes and continue to cook for one minute more, stirring frequently.
Pour in chicken broth and add butternut squash chunks. Give a good stir and bring to a boil.
Lower the heat to medium-low, pour in coconut milk, and continue to cook the soup for an additional 20 minutes or until the squash is very tender.
Season the soup with sea salt and puree using an immersion blender right in the pot until smooth.
If you do not have an immersion blender, you can use a regular food processor, but in this case, puree your soup in batches.
Divide the soup between bowls and serve garnished with chopped cilantro if you like.
Tried this recipe?
Just snap a photo, hashtag it #bodyketosis and tag @bodyketosis on Instagram for a chance to be featured.
Keto Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 cups Butternut squash peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 cups Chicken broth
- 1 glove Garlic minced
- 1/2 Onion medium, chopped
- 1 cup Coconut milk, unsweetened (plus more for garnish, optional)
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp Dried thyme
- 1/2 tbsp Curry powder
- 1/4 tsp Chili flakes
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg
- Sea salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Cilantro, chopped (for garnish, optional)
- Heat coconut oil in a pan, add chopped onion and cook just until lightly brown.
- Add minced garlic, curry powder, dried thyme, nutmeg, and chili flakes and continue to cook for one minute more.
- Pour in chicken broth and add butternut squash chunks. Give a good stir and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and pour in coconut milk. Cook for an additional 20 minutes or until the squash is very tender.
- Season the soup with sea salt and puree using an immersion blender.
- Serve in a bowl garnished with chopped cilantro and an additional spoon of coconut milk (if using).
Alex is the founder of Bodyketosis, an author, low-carb enthusiast, and a recovering chubby guy who reclaimed his health using the ketogenic lifestyle. The need for the keto life began after his aunt and cousin were diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and he was next in line. Through personal experience and extensive scientific research, Alex offers insightful tips for everything keto.