Love Chicken Pot Pie? Who doesn’t, but traditional Chicken Pot Pie, unfortunately, contains too many carbs to be eaten on a low-carb or keto diet. We know the way you can still enjoy this delicious dish.
Our Mini Keto Chicken Pot Pie recipe is a low-carb twist on a traditional pot pie recipe. We are more than sure that our “Mini Keto Chicken Pot Pie” will bring you the same pleasure as the classic version and you will enjoy every crumb of it.
And one more good news: it’s mini pies! You can easily take them to work, serve on a party or simply reheat for a lunch. Cook a dish that will make your mood.
Preheat your oven to 400F/200C and prepare the ingredients for the pie: dice chicken meat, chop onion, slice mushrooms.
Start to prepare the filling: First heat a tablespoon of butter in a frying pan over medium heat.
When the butter stops foaming add diced chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes or until lightly golden.
Season cooked meat with salt and pepper, transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Add remaining tablespoon of butter to the same pan in which you cooked chicken.
When the butter melts, add chopped onion, sliced mushrooms, broccoli florets as well as garlic powder and dry thyme.
Saute vegetables for 5-7 minutes, or just until you see that onions became slightly brown at the edges.
Pour the chicken broth to the pan with vegetables. Set the heat to medium high and bring to a boil.
Then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes stirring often. When broth thickened a bit, stir in heavy cream and paprika.
That’s the time to return chicken to the pan. So, add the chicken, give a good stir, cover with a lid and simmer on low for an additional 3-4 minutes, allowing sauce to thicken.
The filling for your chicken pie is ready, remove it from heat and set aside.
Meanwhile prepare the crust: start with melting your Mozzarella cheese. You can use a double boiler or simply microwave shredded cheese for 1 minute.
If your mozzarella is not completely melted, stir it well and return to the microwave for an additional 30 seconds.
Now add almond flour, cream cheese, oregano, basil, black pepper and stir until well-combined.
Divide the prepared dough into three equal pieces.
Roll each piece into a circle between 2 sheets of parchment paper.
Roll the dough circles big enough to top your pie pans or oven safe ramekins.
Spoon your filling into each pie pan or ramekin (muffin cups can also suit as molds for mini pies). Just remember to fill only 3/4 of the mold.
Top each pie with dough circle and fold it down around the edges.
We recommend to make 2 small cuts with a sharp knife on top of each pie, this trick will let the steam out while baking.
Transfer to the preheated oven and bake for 17-20 minutes.
Remember to keep an eye on pies during the last minutes of cooking, as the almond flour can go from golden to burned very quickly, so to make sure it doesn’t burn.
Allow to cool for few minutes before serving and enjoy!
Note: If you want to have a golden sheen, brush pies with egg wash (a thoroughly beaten egg with some water).
Mini Keto Chicken Pot Pie
twist on a traditional pot pie recipe.
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/3 cup Almond flour
- 1 tbsp Cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp Dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp Dry basil
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C.
- Heat a tablespoon of butter over medium heat, add diced chicken and cook for 5-7 minutes or until lightly golden, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In the same frying pan melt remaining butter, add onion, mushrooms, broccoli florets, garlic powder, dry thyme and cook until onions are slightly brown.
- Pour in the chicken broth, bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes stirring often until thickened, then stir in heavy cream and paprika.
- Return chicken to the pan, cover with a lid and simmer for an additional 3-4 minutes, allowing the sauce to thicken. Remove from heat.
- Melt the shredded mozzarella in a bowl, add almond flour, cream cheese, oregano, basil, and black pepper. Stir until well-combined.
- Divide the dough into three equal pieces. Roll each dough piece into a circle between 2 sheets of parchment paper.
- Divide the filling between 3 mini pie pans or oven safe ramekins. Top each pie pan with a rolled piece of dough, folding it down around the edges. With the sharp knife make 2 small cuts on top of each pie, transfer to the oven and bake for 17-20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool for few minutes before serving.
Was this post helpful?
Alex is the founder of Bodyketosis, an author, low-carb enthusiast, and a recovering chubby guy who reclaimed his health using the ketogenic lifestyle. The need for the keto life began after his aunt and cousin were diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and he was next in line. Through personal experience and extensive scientific research, Alex offers insightful tips for everything keto.