It’s all known, that Italians are famous for their pasta dishes. They know how to make the best pasta in the world! One of the most widely loved Italian pasta recipes is Carbonara.
But stop… Carbonara? Not keto friendly and too high in carbs! But it’s not about our Keto Carbonara with Zoodles.
Very simple trick: we took the recipe of Roman traditional dish and made a low carb version. We replaced pasta with zucchini noodles, but left perfect and authentic Italian taste.
It’s worth saying that this is very fast and simple recipe and you’ll need to spend only 15 minutes to cook your perfect keto Carbonara. Simple to prepare and delicious to eat, everyone should give it a try!
We use Parmesan in this recipe, as it is more popular, but you can use grated Pecorino Romano or Grana Padano cheese. These cheeses have even lower carbs contain than Parmesan.
You may use store bought zoodles for this recipe or make your own zucchini noodles using spiralizer, mandoline or julienne peeler. Rinse and dry the zucchini, trim off the stems and spiralize it.
Heat olive oil in a pan over a medium heat and sear pancetta pieces until crispy. Try not to overcook or the meat, it can get hard and tough.
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook zucchini noodles and for about 1 minute. Take zoodles out of the pot and strain them.
Reserve one cup of zoodles water for the sauce and to use if carbonara will be too dry.
Now prepare the sauce: in a bowl combine egg yolks, Parmesan, salt, pepper, ¼ cup of zoodles water and whisk everything until combined.
Chop the parsley finely and add it to the pan with pancetta. Add your zoodles to the same pan, toss well and heat through for 1 minute.
Add your prepared sauce to the pan and stir until combined. If the pasta seems too dry for you, add some more zoodles water until you get the desired consistency.
Divide carbonara between plates and serve immediately sprinkled with extra Parmesan on top.
Tried this recipe?
Keto Carbonara With Zoodles
- 3 oz Pancetta or guanciale cut into ¼ inch pieces
- 2 Egg yolks
- 1/4 cup Parmesan grated
- 1/2 lb Zucchini or use store-bought zoodles
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Parsley chopped
- Salt and black pepper for taste
- Make zucchini noodles using spiralizer (or use store-bought zoodles).
- Heat olive oil in a pan and sear pancetta pieces until crispy.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook zucchini noodles and for about 1 minute. Strain and reserve one cup of zoodles water.
- In a bowl combine egg yolks, Parmesan, salt and pepper and ¼ cup of zoodles water. Whisk the sauce until combined.
- Add chopped parsley and zucchini noodles to the pan with the pancetta, toss well and heat through for 1 minute.
- Add the sauce to the pan and stir until combined. If the pasta is too dry, add some more zoodles water.
- Serve immediately sprinkled with extra Parmesan on top.
Alex is the founder of Bodyketosis, an author, low-carb enthusiast, and a recovering chubby guy who reclaimed his health using the ketogenic lifestyle. The need for the keto life began after his aunt and cousin were diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and he was next in line. Through personal experience and extensive scientific research, Alex offers insightful tips for everything keto.