Bacon-Wrapped Cheesesteak Meatloaf Recipe (Keto Staple & Delicious)
Meatloaf exists in almost all cuisines in the world. What can be more easy then combine ground meat with your favourite seasonings and just bake it? No need to be a Chef to get super tasty meatloaf.
All of us know, that traditional meatloafs are quite high in carbs – mostly in soaked bread which is added to the meat to bind it together.
In our keto Bacon Wrapped Cheesesteak Meatloaf we swapped soaked bred to grated Grana Padano cheese. It contains almost zero carbohydrates, but still play the same role as soaked bread.
One serving of our low carb Cheesesteak Meatloaf has only 0.8g of net carbs.
- Try to choose a cut of meat with higher fat content, meat with low fat easily dries out.
- You can easily combine several types of meat veal, pork, beef or lamb will work really good.
- If you’re using very lean meat, add some ground pork, it will make your meatloaf moist and tender.
Preheat your oven to 350F (175C). Wash the mushrooms well and slice them. Peel and chop half of the onion.
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a frying pan over a medium heat. Wait until it stops to foam, then add chopped mushrooms and onion and saute until slightly brown. Season fried vegetables with salt and pepper and set aside.
In a medium bowl combine beef mince, pork mince, egg, grated Grana Padano, minced garlic, oregano, basil, paprika, salt and pepper.
Use your hands to mix everything together until just combined, do not overmix! Overmixing will make a meatloaf dense and dry.
Take your baking dish or baking tray and line it with a foil. Then take seasoned meat mix and spread it over the foil. Make sure meat is in an even layer with no holes.
Assemble cheese layer on top of the meat, keep in mind to leave the edges of meat layer uncovered. Then spread your sauteed mushrooms on top of cheese layer.
Roll the meat up in the same way you are rolling up a jelly roll, starting from the short end, by lifting foil and removing it as you roll. Seal ends well and set aside.
Line the baking dish with foil again. Arrange bacon stripes on top and put the meatloaf on the edge of the bacon. Roll the bacon around the loaf using the foil.
Try not to choose small loaf pan or baking dish in case you don’t want to get steamed meatloaf. Baking your loaf in larger baking dish will allow the edges to caramelize.
So, place your meatloaf into appropriate baking dish, transfer to the oven and bake for 25 min. Then take the meatloaf out of the oven, remove the foil and bake for another 35 min.
Let the meatloaf rest for 5 minutes before cutting it.
This trick gives the juices time to settle. When you slice your meatloaf too soon, the juices will seep out and you’ll receive dry loaf.
Tried this recipe?
Just snap a photo, hashtag it #bodyketosis and tag @bodyketosis on Instagram for a chance to be featured.
Bacon Wrapped Cheesesteak Meatloaf
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C). Slice mushrooms and chop the onion.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat add vegetables and saute until slightly brown. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a bowl combine beef mince, pork mince, egg, grated Grana Padano, minced garlic, oregano, basil, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Line a baking dish or baking tray with a foil and spread seasoned meat over the foil.
- Arrange cheese slices on top, leaving the edges of the meat layer uncovered. Spread sauteed vegetables on top of the cheese layer.
- Roll the meat up and shape it into a loaf. Set aside.
- Line the baking dish with foil again. Arrange bacon strips on top and put the meatloaf on the edge of the bacon. Roll the bacon around the loaf using the foil. Transfer the meatloaf to the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Take the meatloaf out of the oven, remove the foil and bake for another 35 minutes.
- Let the meatloaf rest for 5 minutes before cutting it. Enjoy!
Alex is the founder of Bodyketosis, an author, low-carb enthusiast, and a recovering chubby guy who reclaimed his health using the ketogenic lifestyle. The need for the keto life began after his aunt and cousin were diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and he was next in line. Through personal experience and extensive scientific research, Alex offers insightful tips for everything keto.