Welcome to Bodyketosis
Hi there, my name is Alex Reed, and I am the chief editor at Bodyketosis. This site is the main driving force for me to keep working on myself and my body. Read the full bio here.
Bodyketosis grew out of curiosity and a need to understand a low-carb lifestyle (read more about the backstory below), and it also works as my health diary, where I cover topics that I learn and go through by myself.
The articles on Bodyketosis are based on years of experience with keto and low-carb lifestyles and are strongly based on scientific research.
We will do the difficult research and try to present our findings as simply and understandable as possible because we are passionate about the low-carb lifestyle and all the magical ways it can improve our lives.
What can you expect from Bodyketosis?
- All content is based on well researched latest scientific literature (no room for inner feelings or hunches)
- All content is written in-depth, trying to cover every aspect of the topic in a simple manner (difficult things made simple)
- All content has a goal to help you to take charge of your weight and your life again (you need to be the master of food, not the other way around)
If you have any suggestions, requests, or questions related to the keto lifestyle and this website, then use our contact page to let us know how we can help you out.
I am not a nutritionist nor a doctor. The information on this site is not meant to be given as medical advice.
- The content on Bodyketosis is based on personal experience and profound scientific research. This website is a source for sharing information, resources, and motivation.
- Before starting any diet or taking supplements that may interfere with medications, consult your physician or doctor to assess all the health issues that could arise and work with them accordingly.
Medical Review Team
The Bodyketosis Medical Review Team is a panel of licensed healthcare professionals, each of whom is a recognized expert in their field.
With their expertise and guidance, Bodyketosis can further our mission of creating high-quality, fact-checked, and referenced articles.
You’ll see a section noting that an article has been medically reviewed at the top of our articles.
Dr. Obianuju Helen Okoye MD, MBA, MS-Epi
Dr. Helen Okoye is a highly accomplished and sought-after American Public Health Physician with a Medical Degree (MD), an MBA in Healthcare Management, and a Masters in Epidemiology/Public Health.
Dr. Okoye has been featured on NBC News, Yahoo News, The Huffington Post, The Reader’s Digest Tonic by VICE, She Knows, Massage Magazine, Carol Roth, among others.
Dr. Okoye has published She is a contributing writer to Entrepreneur magazine and the Huffington Post.
She has been a scientific writer for the renowned websites LiveStrong, The Paleo Diet, and AusMed.
Dr. Okoye background includes being a National Institutes of Health (NIH) Clinical and Research Fellow. She has a plethora of clinical research experience and has presented at US and International Medical Conferences.
Kristen Arnold MS, RDN, CSSD
Kristen Arnold is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and a board-Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics, and 1st author in a peer-reviewed Publication in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (JAND).
Kristen also has a Master’s in Human Nutrition from The Ohio State University. She owns a private practice nutrition counseling business focusing on performance nutrition for athletes.
Shes also a coach for bicycle racers with Source Endurance, where she coaches entry-level to national elite-level cyclists in mountain, road, and cyclocross bike racing.
In addition to nutrition counseling and coaching, Kristen is a professional cyclist for ButcherBox Cycling where she competes in national-level races across the USA and Canada.
L.J. Amaral MS, RD, CSO
L.J. Amaral is a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist who is board certified in Oncology Nutrition. L.J. attended the University of Connecticut and obtained a Bachelor of Science in Nutritional Science.
She went on to get her Master of Science in Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics from NYU while subsequently completing her internship to become a Registered Dietitian at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in Manhattan.
L.J. is currently located in the outpatient Cancer Center at Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles, CA.
There, she has a full clinic where she sees cancer patients before, during, and after treatment which could include chemotherapy, immunotherapy, radiation, and surgery.
L.J. is currently a Co-Investigator for a retrospective case series on the Ketogenic Diet and CNS Malignancies and on Phase I Clinical Trial for Ketogenic Diets and newly diagnosed Glioblastoma Multiforme patients.
L.J. specializes in cancer nutrition during treatment, for survivorship, for cancer prevention, and specifically, in therapeutic Ketogenic diets. L.J. is also a contributing author to MindBodyGreen and has lectured on numerous occasions.
The mission of Bodyketosis.com is to help You to take charge of your weight
and health again using the low-carb lifestyle.
Okay, by now, you may be wondering how did all of this got started? Fair question. Here’s the story.
Some years ago, there was a tragedy in my family which resulted in my aunt being in a coma for several weeks. Thanks to good medicine and awesome doctors, she came back and almost recovered fully, but during the process, she was also diagnosed with type 2 diabetes (part of the reason for the coma). The period was tough and very stressful for our family.
A couple of months later, her daughter also started to feel bad and ended up in the emergency room because of high blood pressure, where she also was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Now the thing is that all the women in my family are extremely overweight. When looking back, then it was just a question of time before something like this would happen.
After the emotional and physical rollercoaster between hospitals over six months, the doctors prescribed a low-carb diet for my aunt and her daughter to keep their blood sugar levels in place and to manage type 2 diabetes. There wasn’t any wiggle room. It was an all-or-nothing situation.
At first, it was challenging for me to wrap my head around how much diet can make or break your life and health – after all, the wrong diet was the main factor for developing type 2 diabetes.
So, I started researching low-carb and ketogenic diets and was even more surprised when I learned how ketogenic diets not only can help to control your blood sugar levels and weight but also are used to treat different medical conditions like cancer and epilepsy.
There wasn’t much choice for me after all of this. I was already packing around 35 pounds overweight, and I needed to help my family to conquer their diagnoses and improve their health. Also, seeing the health pattern over generations, it’s just a question of time when I will be next – I needed to change my choices in life.
So, that’s the backstory of how Bodyketosis was born.
How we create content
All the content you will find on this site has been planned and edited by me to ensure we meet the highest quality standards and are backed up with real science.
- I do tend to use freelance writers to help me put articles together, but nothing is published without a green light from me, the chief editor. This is to ensure all information we publish is accurate and you can trust it to make dietary and purchase decisions.
- As much as possible, we try to get our hands on the products mentioned in this blog to gain real-life experience with these items, but it is not always possible, so we also rely on extensive online feedback from real customers of these items.
- I also try to provide additional tips and tricks for different topics and products so that you can get the maximum value out of those.
All in all, I want this site to be a place you can trust and that is not rigged by trivial information, so you can use our content to make the best decisions for yourself when it comes to dieting.
What’s in it for you?
So why should you read Bodyketosis?
I would say the main reason you would want to check us out is that you want to take charge of your weight and life once again by reading easy-to-understand and science-backed information and tips related to a low-carb lifestyle.
If you resonate with the following statements, you will enjoy the content you find on this site:
- You want to read an easy-to-understand in-depth information
- You want to learn from visually appealing and illustrated visuals explaining difficult topics
- You want to read statements that are backed by scientific research
- You want product advice based on customer experience and not commercial sales pages
- You want to feel healthy and happy to focus on moments and people around you
- You want to learn how the low-carb lifestyle works and understand that it takes time
- You are not looking for a magical fat-loss pill
If you are on board with this, I look forward to having you read our in-depth content. You can start by learning about the ketogenic lifestyle here.